Sunday, November 6, 2011

The allure of old.




When I was driving through Main St. Suwanee over a year ago and ventured into Old Town (the historic district) - I never dreamed that I would find something that spoke to me like the old general store. I wasn't looking for any additional "arms" of my business, in fact I was quite full trying to keep up with the amount of work that we are fortunate enough to gather during the year.

However, the building was empty, a former antique business had been there for many years. Over 100 years it had stood as part of a small group of buildings that have seen many generations pass through. A large FOR RENT sign was the only adornment. I tried to peek through the windows, but some were covered in wood with peeling paint to provide privacy from inquisitive eyes. The one lone window was covered from the inside with sawdust. I was intrigued.

I start driving by on a regular basis, envisioning how it could be, what it could be and trying to decide if this was the right move. It was a frequent topic of discussion with my partner in the building business. After several "signs" that we considered fortuitous, we approached the landlord and began negotiations to lease the space. Such as it was - there was going to be much work to bring it up to the charming potential radiating from the exterior. But hey, isn't this my specialty?!

Over a period of time we landscaped the front, scrubbed, painted, plumbed, painted some more, hung lights, painted some more and finished the old storage section into a wonderful "administrative" area separated from the showroom. We had the space - now what to do with it?

No comments:

Post a Comment